Thursday, September 11, 2008

Today is September 11

and while I can't help thinking some about what happened on this day in 2001, I'm trying not to dwell on it. Instead I'm spending today thinking about my family, and how it all began twelve years ago on this day. On September 11, 1996, Hubs and I went on our first date. We went to dinner and a movie, and I knew then, as we were driving to dinner, that I would marry him one day. I thought the whole notion of knowing such things so early in a relationship was ridiculous until he came along. And it's not as though either of us was really looking for someone to marry just then. But we found each other, and we needed each other, and we just fit. My friends thought I was crazy. His friends may have though the same thing. Most of them probably thought we'd never last beyond a few dates, a brief fling. And here we are, twelve years, two kids, three dogs, and seven cars later - still together. We're a bit of an odd pairing in some ways, but then, we're both strange people, and it works. Today I'm thinking more about our past, and looking forward to our future. It's healthy and appropriate to remember, but we have to keep moving forward.

4 comments:

Avitable said...

Where did you go for your date?

Anonymous said...

I wish I could remember the date of my first with my husband. You have a great memory!

Funny how things work out, isn't it?

The Driftwood Collector said...

We drove to Lynchburg, ate dinner at an Applebee's, and saw Mission: Impossible at the discount movie theater. The best part was talking on the drive there and back.

Avitable said...

Ahhh. I didn't know if you went to one of the fine dining establishments in the collegiate area.