Friday, September 5, 2008

Famous English Majors

I'm on a frivolous quest to compile a list of famous and/or successful English majors (yes, I was one, too, but not famous or successful outside my own mind). I found this useful list from CWU, which includes such notables as Jodie Foster, Harrison Ford, Sigourney Weaver, Steven Spielberg, and Garrison Keillor (naturally, since he loves to mock English majors on "A Prairie Home Companion"), along with assorted well-known writers. ISU has a good list, too, with some additional names (Joe Paterno, Sting, and Dr. Seuss, for example). But I'd like to find more. Particularly some good ironic ones, people you wouldn't expect. Let me know if you find someone interesting.

ETA: Aha! Found some ironic ones! Vin Diesel, Clarence Thomas, and Marty Shottenheimer! Most actors don't qualify for the "ironic English major" label, but I think Mr. Diesel does. ;)

3 comments:

Avitable said...

Could you check out McDonald's website and see if they have any famous employees?

Hah! I kid. I have a degree that is even more useless in the real world, a BA in East Asian Studies. What was I thinking?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Avitable said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.