Sunday, June 27, 2010

So... long time, no write

I'm thinking I should start writing a bit more. Now that I'm past the highly-uncomfortable-pregnancy bit, finished with bedrest and baby boy's stint in the NICU. And since I don't have a job anymore - I was "let go" at one month postpartum, called in for a meeting to be told this since I hadn't been to work in many weeks due to bedrest, delivery, etc. I have a lot of bitterness and anger and frustration about the poor way it was all handled, but I'm trying not to stew over it since it gives me heartburn and headaches.

But now I have this adorable baby boy, and I'm thinking I should write more, about him and his two fabulous siblings, and maybe that can help me work through what I'll do next, besides being a wife and mother (which is a lot of wonderful work, but the financial benefits are even worse than adjuncting). I'm thinking that making writing a regular routine for me would be good mental exercise, keeping the mind sharp in between episodes of Team Umizoomi and The Deadliest Catch (favorites of my children and husband, respectively). So I'm going to set up a schedule and some expectations for myself, to get in the habit.

2 comments:

Avitable said...

Do you have any legal recourse? I mean, letting a new mother go has to give you some grounds, doesn't it?

Congratulations on your new arrival, too!

The Driftwood Collector said...

I talked with a guy, and while I might have recourse, I don't really have a lot of incentive to provide for a lawyer to make the case. Unfortunately I only worked part-time for paltry wages, so unless I wanted to pay more (in legal fees) than I would get to pursue it, it's not really worth it. Also, I think that the fact that I worked at a church complicates the situation. Believe me, I have come to appreciate the irony of a pastor at a church - my OWN church - treating me in such a "Christian" manner.